xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: Volunteers: FINAL Cut?
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2001 00:57:38 GMT
At 02:40 PM 3/12/01 -0800, Edwin Goei wrote:
>Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>
>> Personal preference: every active subproject gets 1 rep. I understand from
>> Arnaud that Crimson is inactive. Considering the C/C++/Perl projects to be
>
>I would not consider crimson inactive.  The plan is for Crimson
>development to continue until Xerces 2 becomes stable enough to replace
>it.  I believe development on Xerces 1 is also continuing for the same
>reason.  Crimson is being used in the JAXP 1.1 reference implementation
>and is slated to be bundled with Sun's JDK 1.4.

I stand corrected. Although I didn't intend to say that Crimson is dead
overall - I was thinking more of where it fits in Apache.

>This brings up the question of what constitutes a subproject for the
>"representative PMC".  Do language variants count as different
>projects?  Does Crimson count as a separate project?  One advantage in
>having a small, non-representative PMC is that this question does not
>have to be answered immediately.

Perhaps the real question is, what is a "project", period, in XML Apache? I
think this lack of clear definition causes some confusion. I understand a
"project", in general, to have well-defined scope and a definite schedule -
it does not last forever.

What we actually have are programs - we have one or more parser programs, we
have a web publishing infrastructure program, we have a print publishing
program, etc etc. If we accept that categorization, at least for the sake of
argument, the print publishing program, for example, has one project under
its auspices - FOP 1.0, which should complete this summer (rough timeframe)
and has a pretty definite set of goals. At such a time as we (FOP) release
that baby, that project is finito, and any subsequent work on that codebase
is maintenance. At such a time we would presumably embark on a FOP 2.0 - a
new project.

Yes, I would say that Crimson is absolutely a different project. So would
Xerces 1.0 be, and Xerces 2.0. I would also consider the language variants
to be different projects - I would expect them to have somewhat different
goals, not just so someone could use their favourite language. So there
would be a bunch of projects under the parser program.

I think there is some useful discussion to be had down the road on this.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)