xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: Volunteers: FINAL Cut?
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2001 22:53:36 GMT
At 11:18 AM 3/9/01 -0800, Ted Leung wrote:
>Wow.  We were almost there.
>
>Here's where I thought we were:
>
>1.  We were converging on a PMC of 5.  With this number there was
>no way there could be project representation - In my mind project
>representation
>would be 1 person for every project - each language variant being a project
>as well.
>2.  The size 5 PMC was going to do the minimum amount necessary, focusing on
>legal and administrative issues.  It would also be responsible for
>facilitating/bootstrapping
>either a) a bigger PMC with project representation or b) the working groups
>that Arved
>had proposed.

Sweet synopsis. :-) I think it would be fair to say that this was a
"possible" view; clearly, judging by other responses, this wasn't the only
one.

We seem to have 2 immediate possible choices:

(1) the bootstrap PMC of ~5 folks, cogently described above; or

(1) going directly to the representative PMC.

I think we have some momentum for (2). Also, a central function of the
"small" PMC was going to be growth, and so (2) is where we figured on ending
up anyway.

Personal preference: every active subproject gets 1 rep. I understand from
Arnaud that Crimson is inactive. Considering the C/C++/Perl projects to be
different enough to merit a separate rep gives us that injection of
non-Java, so I think it's a good idea.

Finally, I don't think that this representative PMC will be too big for the
occasional legal or adminstrative decisions that have to be made.

Regards,
Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)