xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: VOTE: PMC size
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2001 10:29:29 GMT
At 09:41 PM 3/6/01 -0800, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>I think I finally have received all messages in this thread; just to
>recap what I think I saw:
>
>1	Steven proposed: 3, 5, <15 or per project.
>2.	Scott added 'all committers' and said he liked '15' and 'per project'
>3.	Arved proposed a PMC or '3' and two working groups (standing)
>	one composed of all committers and another one as a
>	smaller/nimbler advisory group.
>4.	Kelly gave a +1 for '5'.
>5.	Scott changed to a '5'.
>6.	And Ted finally gave Arved's proposal a +1.
>
>Now this is not quite 'structured' enough for me to gauge consensus from;
>so could I ask you 5-6 involved in this thread to add any options to the
>vote I proposed a moment ago and then take it from there ?
>
>Dw

+1 for a 5-committer PMC.

Elaboration: I am assuming that this first body does almost exactly what the
ASF board expects. I am also assuming that the issue of non-committer
representation on the PMC is moot, since all the volunteers wanted to
actually do something interesting and functional. :-) I am, finally,
assuming that everything else (formation of other groups) will follow in due
course.

I'm personally partial to _a_ solution which gets and keeps external
individuals involved, like those who already volunteered. I think that the
"dry" PMC is not what they wanted to do, and I think that if we tell them
that all they can do is participate on the mailing list that we will
marginalize them. The advisory working group was _an_ idea; there are
doubtless better ones.

Regards,
Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type