xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: VOTE: PMC size
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2001 23:24:46 GMT
At 01:42 PM 3/6/01 -0800, Ted Leung wrote:
>Good thoughts Arved,
>
>I like the idea of not trying to invent the whole wheel at once.
>I'm in favor of an initially small PMC -- I think 5 is a good odd number.
>3 is just a little too small for me.  Let's give that initial body very
>limited
>and restricted responsibilities to help get some of these other ideas
>organized
>(like working groups or the AMC or what have your).  If it turns out that
>this
>particular body of people does a really good job (which is not at all clear
>at this point), and some of these new ideas are worth formalizing either as
>part of the PMC or some other structural entity, then we can have an all
>committer vote at that time.  This lets us put something in place now so
>we can get to the real discussion about synchronization, cooperation, and
>so on.  We aren't forced to commit to a whole bunch of other stuff, but we
>also have way to add some of that other stuff as our collective thoughts
>mature.  We, the xml project have never had a project-wide public discussion
>on this stuff before, so I think that the whole community need some time to
>discuss and meet each other.  I think that a new PMC should be trying to
>facilitate
>that set of discussions.
>
>Ted

Absolutely, this can and probably ought to be a gradual (albeit not too
slow, I think) process. Bite-size chunks, so to speak.

In any case we need an official PMC, and at least 3 of us are cool with a
round number of 5. I'll make a motion that we (that is, all committers) vote
on creating a PMC with 5 members, all chosen from committers, and this body
will have those responsibilities that are currently mandated by the ASF
board for PMCs. If we vote that in, we can actually then vote in 5 people
after a quick round of volunteering and nominations.

If we put wings on this we can at least have our most straightforward
obligation taken care of before mid-month, probably.

Regards,
Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)