xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: Volunteers: First Cut
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2001 17:30:43 GMT
At 07:03 PM 3/3/01 -0800, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> P.S.  Arved nearly volunteered.  Can I nominate him?
>Arved - whadoyathink ?

After telling 2 fellow FOP committers that I wasn't planning to, I'll turn
around and go for it anyway. Mainly because I can't deny a strong interest
in Apache organization above the sub-project level; also, as some of you
know, I've been blowing off at the mouth about stuff like that for months,
and it's time to actually do something.

I thought about it for a bit - my primary concern was possible impacts on
time that I have for FOP. It occurs to me though that with XML Apache stuff
I can make good use of short time snippets, of which I have quite a few, and
which are not very useful to me as a FOP coder anyway. I expect little to no
impact on my FOP efforts, which are priority for me.

Without further ado:

1.   Arved Sandstrom
2.   FOP committer, ASF member
3.   Supportive employer (e-plicity, Halifax, Nova Scotia); no conflicting
affiliations.
4.   I am currently immersed in XML and Java, both here and at work. I'm
very strongly oriented to problem-solving; my background is physics and
scientific programming. So it's not so much XML that interests me, as the
fact that I think it's a great data format, and I'm a data formats
aficionado. I support the use of Java not because I love it (I don't) but
because it is a fine GP open-source programming language. I started out with
XML through XML::Parser porting work, back around the 2.16 version, both C
and Perl.
     I'm interested in describing and documenting the
product/project/software lifecycles that we have here, with a view to
understanding what we do well, what we don't do so well, and helping get
improvements in place. I'm a processes guy, and have both experience and
formal background in software engineering as opposed to programming alone. I
share the perspective that sees us solving various problems -
infrastructure, web publishing, print publishing, etc - and would like to
explore how we can orient our process focus and user experience (buzzword
alert!) towards our solutions to problem categories.
     I'm highly cognizant that we also have open-source goals and open-source
conditions that do not apply to business - continuous user input and
promotion of our community are just a few of those. I think those are our
strengths, and I think it would be really neat to capture and formalize (to
some degree) what it is that we do (and can do) under these conditions. So I
see part of XML Apache (projects and PMC) innovation as being innovation in
process.
     As others have stated about themselves, I'm not afraid to roll up the
sleeves. I like testing (yeah, there are a few of us weirdos), documentation
(getting worse...), and I have been known to code Webbish stuff.

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)