xml-general mailing list archives

From Kelly Campbell <c...@merlot.channelpoint.com>
Subject Re: Volunteers: First Cut
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2001 00:10:54 GMT
I also agree... +1 on F and on figuring out the composition of the PMC
first.

I would like to propose that the committee be composed of one
committer from each sub-project where there are n subprojects, x number of
users, and y number of invited members where x+y <= n and the members that
make up x and y are selected by the core n committers. How's that sound?

This would mean a max of 16 currently if Xerces* and Xalan* are considered
individual projects (rather than 3 xerces projects and 2 xalan
projects). There is also the issue of should Crimson be grouped with
Xerces as far as project representation on the committee goes? (Someone
asked me earlier today why Apache has two different XML parsers :-)

Another thing we've been discussing is the charter and purpose the PMC
will serve (if it differs from the current charter any). Should this be
voted on at this time by the general audience, or do people think we
should form the committee first and have the new committee decide it's own
charter?

It seems like we should finalize the purpose of the committee before the
actual members are voted on, and that people generally interested in the
topic should have some say on it, so I'll +1 this addition to the process
of the PMC reboot as well. We need an apache vote tracking
poll-like system for this kind of stuff :-)

I know this will add some time to the overall process, but I think it
will be worth it in the end.

-Kelly