xml-general mailing list archives

From "Kimbro Staken" <ksta...@dbxmlgroup.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: PMC size
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2001 11:11:23 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <Scott_Boag@lotus.com>
To: <general@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: VOTE: PMC size

> "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@ebuilt.com> wrote:
> > That is, the PMC is supposed to be
> > elected by the committers on the project, or include all of the
> committers
> > on the project, because that's pretty much the only way to ensure that
> > what we do remains a true collaboration and doesn't degrade into some
> sort
> > of consortium or a mirror of our real jobs.
>
> Given Roy's note, I should add to my list:
>
> E) include all of the committers on the project
>
> I would vote, in order of preference:
>
> E -- I like this because it is inclusive of the people who do active work.
> If you put code into Apache on a regular basis, you should have the right
> to be part of the decision making process, even if they are "dry" issues.

Wow this is really astonishing. I'm seriously scared to death that you guys
are going to run this thing into the ground because you all think you can
pull on the controls at once. You need LEADERSHIP!! It is a necessary evil
but you have workable rules to minimize its impact. Deal with the brief pain
and move on. Clearly the ASF itself understands this concept, that is what
that post from Roy represents.

You now have probably 20 people who have stepped up to the PMC plate and
this shows that the XML organization has a strong user community. Out of
those 20 or so people, probably 5 (myself included) should be disqualified
for not being committers. Out of the remaining 15 or so you have a small set
of people (~5) who show technical and leadership ability. You all know who
these people are, just make it official.

Might I quote something else from Roy's post.

    Needless to say, I was disappointed by the lack of response on the
    part of the XML and Jakarta projects.  Two months should have been
    more than enough time to set a direction and write a couple resolutions
    detailing how the projects would be overseen.

This kind of thing happens because you have NO leadership. Putting a large
PMC in place, especially one consisting of all committers for all projects,
will absolutely not solve this problem.

Kimbro Staken
A seriously concerned user of Apache XML software.