xml-general mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: Volunteers needed: Reboot of the XML 'PMC'.
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:44:06 GMT

Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@covalent.net> wrote:
> But at the same time I wanted to warn people that most
> things in the PMC are not about code - that is most and more effectively
> dealt with by the projects themselves - but about things like licenses,
> release policies and other things secondary (and driven by) code.

Right, but at the same time, the PMC needs to step up to, in my opinion,
some technical issues, like across-project interface coordination, release
and version management, quality assessment, and external interface policies
(W3C, Oasis, JCP).  Policy mistakes that are really damaging can easily be
made if an understanding of the detailed architectures and future plans of
projects is not present.  And I don't believe many of the across-project
architecture issues (within xml.apache.org and internal dependencies to
Jakarta, apache server, etc.) can be fully addressed on the general list.
So either these issues need to be worked on by the PMC, *OR* perhaps we
should define an Architecture Management Council (AMC)... but this could
well make things worse... I don't think we want to proliferate more
exclusive groups.  Hmm... perhaps we could define a AMC mailing list that
had open membership, but would tend to be naturally contained to people who
are really interested and have the time to make really informed decisions?

Just brainstorming...

-scott