xml-general mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject RE: Volunteers: First - cut - Deadline 2nd of March
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2001 07:35:31 GMT

Kelly Campbell <camk@channelpoint.com> wrote:
> Another thing I would like to promote as XML projects is UI tools for
> working with XML, XSL, etc.

I would like to see UI tools also.

It seems like the classes of projects that xml.apache.org should handle
are:

1) Low-level processing components that have XML as their base: Parser,
XSLT processor, Soap, XLink, FOP, etc.  AND AN XML DATABASE!
2) User level utilities that are enablers of XML: XML Editor, XSLT Editor,
LinkMaker, Schema Editor (examples from the top of my head).
3) XML-specific testing aids, i.e. DOM comparitor, encoding tests, HTML
comparitor?  These might work in conjunction with a more general test
infrastructure.
4) Cocoon because it is already here and because it is Cocoon.  But Cocoon
seems to me to go beyond pure XML specificity, and is more at the
application level, so it's a bit on the borderline.  See below about
subjectivity.

What did I miss?  Shared utility infrastructure??  Psuedo-standard
interfaces?

Dirk-Willem van Gulik (vaio) <dirkx@webweaving.org> wrote:
> 2.       Work with the ASF board to re-define it's current charter.
>          Right now it is too narrow and only covers XML parsers!

While this is something that the PMC needs to do, I think now is a good
time to have a general discussion.

I believe the charter definition will continue to be somewhat subjective.
As I said when the original PMC was first started, if the whole world is
using XML (in spite of
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2689765,00.html), then
what is not an XML project?  I believe we want to stick to pipe components
that implement horizontal XML related standards, and probably UI editors
for these standards, but that is my opinion... most people have one.

-scott