xml-general mailing list archives

From David_N_Bert...@lotus.com
Subject Re: XSL processor limitation?
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:56:53 GMT

Hi Mark,

You are correct in assuming that an XSLT stylesheet must be a well-formed
XML document.  There are very easy ways to deal with these sorts of
situations that don't resort to templates with unmatched tags.

A better forum for your question would be the Mulberry XSL mailing list:

There are lots of experts here you can help with with these sorts of
problems.

Dave

                    Mark Norman

                    <mnorman@cup.        To:     general@xml.apache.org

                    hp.com>              cc:     (bcc: David N Bertoni/CAM/Lotus)

                    Sent by:             Subject:     XSL processor limitation?

                    mnorman@cup.h

                    p.com

                    02/16/2001

                    06:29 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    general

I am trying to create a new row in an HTML table
after the 3rd element. When I reach the fourth
element, I am inserting HTML tags to end the
previous row and start the next one. My XSL
code fragment looks like this:

 <xsl:template match="book[4]">
  <xsl:value-of select="@title"/>
 </xsl:template>

The resulting HTML will conform to the rules
of matching begin and end tags, but the XSL
processor is validating my XSL code not on the
results it will produce, but on the pre-processed
version. So, it thinks that having the </tr> tag
before the </xsl:template> tag is an error.

This seems like a serious limitation. I already
have ways to work around this, but I am interested
in addressing the basic problem: can I tell
the XSL processor to validate only my XSL statements
and not the HTML?

thanks,

Mark Norman