xml-general mailing list archives

From "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arn...@hyprotech.com>
Subject RE: Test Infrastructure Project Proposal
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:12:27 GMT
Conformance testing should be done at a arms length from parser development.  Ideally a conformance
testing harness should be able to run all the major parsers on a specific platform and work
through
generic interfaces.

Though there hasn't been much activity there lately, David Brownell and I started the XML
conformance project on SourceForge (http://xmlconf.sourceforge.net) to be a home for development
of test
harnesses and for dissemination of conformance test results.  As long as the development effort
is for the general good of all vendors and users of XML parsers, we wouldn't have any problem
opening up
XMLConf to new developers.

Cross-language testing is also an issue.  It would be best if the same test cases and harnesses
could be used for both Xerces-J and Xerces-C, for example.  I thought the most fruitful approach
might
be to develop JNI interfaces for the non-Java implementations and use the Java test harness.

If Apache does establish a distinct unit testing framework, we could try to have the XMLConf
testing harnesses to be able to participate in that framework.

One possibility would be to generate JUnit tests from a test definition DTD and a small collection
of base test classes.  That way, the Apache test structure could be just a layer on top of
JUnit.

Just some thoughts.