xml-general mailing list archives

From "Fotis Jannidis" <fotis.janni...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
Subject Re: Volunteers needed: Reboot of the XML 'PMC'.
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:54:14 GMT
From:           	"Sam Ruby" <rubys@us.ibm.com>

> Fotis Jannidis wrote:
> >
> > Most developers and committers are severely limited in their time;
> > so if you plan to burden all open issues on the PMC it can be
> > foreseen, that we will have a not satisfying situation in 12 months
> > again. But another council is probably not the answer to this,
> > because it only delegates these problems. Maybe it could be made
> > one of the main task of the PMC to identify problems, establish for
> > each larger problem a working group (whose members are selected
> > from all committers) which has only the task to solve this problem
> > and then to dissolve again. The PMC wouldn't have to work on all
> > problems itself, but its main competence, the interproject
> > communication would be used in the best way.
>
> We've been exploring these issues for a while on Jakarta, and here is a few
> items we have concluded so far:
>
> 1) the place for interproject communication should be out in the open, on
> the general@ mailing list; not on the private PMC mailing list.

Communication is work as anything else, so maybe it is better to
manage that also. I am not talking about whether the discussion
groups are open or not, but whether it is the business of PMC
members to know what is going on in all projects. This work of
winning information seems to me a seperate competence and
could be the basis for forming such working groups.

> 2) The charter of the PMC is to resolve interpersonal disputes, security
> concerns, legal issues, veto of last resort, approval of new subprojects
> within the scope of the project, responsible to the ASF corporation as
> chartered.

Yes, I know, please read my first letter as a proposal to change
that charter.

Fotis

Fotis Jannidis
xml.apache.org/fop