xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Serialized compatibility
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2001 01:43:45 GMT
[Dane, this kind of questions really belongs to xerces-j-dev]

> Dane Foster wrote:
>
> Does anyone from the Xerces-J development team know if future versions
> of the Node implementing classes and their respective children (i.e.
> Element),  will be compatible with serialized versions of today's
> classes?  In simple words, if I serialized a Node or any of it's
> children today, will I be able to de-serialize at any arbitrary time
> in the future without a problem?

I wouldn't bet on that. Very little effort is actually put into the Java
serialization code. On top of it, you'd be tying yourself to a
particular DOM implementation. Serialization to XML is the only safe
path here...
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Strategy Group