xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: Test Infrastructure Project Proposal
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2001 23:22:39 GMT
On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:
[ SNIP ]
> What is happening in the XML/Web world is the integration of a lot of
> smaller components, plugged together via (hopefully) standard interfaces.
> This increases the need for unit testing, and integration testing in a big
> way.  In systems such as we are building, robustness is everything, and
> fragility is becoming an increasing problem.  I feel this is probably the
> most critical issue xml.apache.org and the Jakarta projects are facing,
> even above performance issues.  The days have ended when Xerces can release
> without testing with Xalan, and Xalan can release without testing with
> Cocoon, etc.
>
> The Xalan project already has a fair amount of infrastructure that we would
> be happy to contribute.  But basically, I think we should start first with
> requirements, then a schema for reporting (i.e. design the data first), go
> next to interfaces, and then decide what existing code can be used.
>
> Thoughts?  Does anyone want to -1 this?  If not, where should it live? (I
> suspect the answer is in Jakarta, next to Ant).  What should it be named?
> What are the next steps?  Who should be the founders?  And what about
> C-language integration testing, as well as other languages (which might
> argue against a home in Jakarta?)?

I'm absolutely for this. Long overdue. One major point: we'll never get off the
ground with testing of this sort until we have configuration management
(including change management). It doesn't have to be a commercial tool like
Perforce, but we need something, even if it's just Apache-standard SDFs
(Software Description Files).

I'd say outside Jakarta _and_ XML. Ant no longer belongs in Jakarta either,
since everyone and their grandmother is using it. Actually, there's a bunch of
stuff in Jakarta (regexp, ORO, etc) which has nothing to do with Jakarta, per
se. I'd hate to see yet more stuff put in there.

What about the possible role of Tigris? The main infrastructure tools projects
(Subversion, ArgoUML, etc) seem to very naturally fit there. Once we have
requirements, developing support tools can happen there, while a parallel
Apache project works on how Apache would use it, and the bits that pertain
directly to Apache testing. Just some thoughts - if everything lives in Apache
that's cool with me also.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

 --