xml-general mailing list archives

From "Thomas B. Passin" <tpas...@mitretek.org>
Subject Re: Text output from xalan
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:31:21 GMT
Matthias Teege asked
> Ok, but can you generate "pure" ASCII without any tags but
> with an linewrap after each datafield?

It's hard to get exact control of text output line formatting.  First,
you want to use <xsl:output method='text'/>.  You may also want to try
preserving indentation (I forget the syntax).  The problems that remain
are of two kinds:

1) Line feeds and tabs that you insert to format the stylesheet visually
may go into the output.
2) Spaces, tabs, and line feeds that you expect to appear in the output
may not appear if the template generates no printable text at that
point.  One way to get printable text is to embed a comma or period
after each xsl element that outputs a data value.  Of course, then you
have these commas or periods in your output, too.

Tom Passin