xml-general mailing list archives

From "Simon Tyler" <tylersi...@hotmail.com>
Subject Removing attributes and XML Schemas
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:13:01 GMT

Hi,

I've been using Xerces-J 1.2.3 with XML Schemas and the DOM parser; and I've
come across a slight oddity. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this
and whether it is a bug or not.

I have a number of attributes specified in my XML Schema with default
values. When I read an XML document they quite correctly get the default
value if not specified and the getSpecified() method returns false as
expected. If they are specifed then getSpecified() returns true and I see
the specified value. OK so far.

Now if I delete (using removeAttribute()) a specified (or un-specified for
that matter) attribute which has a default specified in the schema, I was
hoping that the getSpecified() method would return false and I would be able
to see the default value in the DOM. Certainly the documentation for
getSpecified() states this for DTDs as it says:

"To re-specify the attribute as the default value from the DTD, the user
must delete the attribute. The implementation will then make a new attribute
available with specified set to false and the default value (if one exists)"

Is this a bug, a feature or have I mis-understood something? Any got any
work arounds for it?

Simon