xml-general mailing list archives

From "Clarke, Agnes" <Agnes_Cla...@nl.compuware.com>
Subject RE: mixed content elements in xhtml
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:20:12 GMT
Can't help with your problem, but you can't use ANY for the purpose you
suggest below. To quote the W3C XML spec:

Validity constraint: Element Valid

An element is valid if there is a declaration matching elementdecl where the
Name matches the element type, and one of the following holds:
4. The declaration matches ANY, and the types of any child elements have
been declared.

Good luck,

Agnes Clarke

-----Original Message-----
From: Taylor, Kevin [mailto:Kevin_Taylor@pamperedchef.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 4:20 PM
To: 'general@xml.apache.org'
Subject: mixed content elements in xhtml

I need to store both text and xhtml markup tags in an xml element.  I know
you can do this by declaring in the DTD that the element accepts ANY type of
content ( <!ELEMENT mycontent ANY> )or by explicitly listing the types of
content ( <!ELEMENT mycontent (#PCDATA|a|ul|b|em)*> ).

What is happening when using XALAN to transform this data into an xhtml
page, is that the markup is being ignored (doesn't appear in the xhtml
source code.)

I copied the contents of the xhtml DTD, xhtml1-strict.dtd, into my DTD so
that XALAN doesn't throw a parse error.  But it just ignores the xhtml tags.

Help!

--Kevin P. Taylor