xml-general mailing list archives

From "Thomas B. Passin" <tpas...@mitretek.org>
Subject Re: how to quickly find an element (by attribute) in a DOM? any hints appeciated
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:02:26 GMT
We are talking about two different things.  You are talking about the uniqueness of the value
of an attribute of type ID, I am talking about re-declaring an element in the DTD.  The two
things are not related.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Toren
  To: 'general@xml.apache.org'
  Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 4:28 AM
  Subject: RE: how to quickly find an element (by attribute) in a DOM? any hints appeciated

  Tom,
     This is from http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-attribute-types .  The xslt specification
also calls for using an unique id.

  ------------------------
  Validity constraint: ID

  Values of type ID must match the Name production. A name must not appear more than once
in an XML document as a value of this type; i.e., ID values must uniquely identify the elements
which bear them.

  Validity constraint: One ID per Element Type

  No element type may have more than one ID attribute specified.

  Validity constraint: ID Attribute Default

  An ID attribute must have a declared default of #IMPLIED or #REQUIRED.