xml-general mailing list archives

From Sean Murphy <murp...@Teltec.DCU.IE>
Subject Problems with validation using Xerces-J
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:27:55 GMT
Hi,

I want to use XML to encode data that I use in my application. I
downloaded the Xerces-J software (the XML4J v3.1.0 software to be more
exact) and I'm trying to make it do things.  However, I'm not having much
success. This is most certainly due to my lack of understanding of how
the system works.

I'm working on a win98 box and using JDK 1.1.7A. XML4J v3.1.0 is a wrapper
around Xerces-J 1.2.0.

I have had a couple of problems - my first problem was that the parser
generated nodes for whitespace when reading in my XML file. This was
somewhat confusing and undesirable. I looked on the mailing list and found
that this issue was raised before, but I didn't understand the proposed
solution. Is it possible to easily create a DOM that does not have
whitespace nodes?

The second problem that I encountered is a validation problem: I cannot
get the parser to validate the XML file. I added a <!DOCTYPE> line to my
(very simple) XML file and created a DTD of the appropriate name in the
same directory as the XML file, but it does not seem to have any impact.
I was expecting the parser to throw exceptions if the XML file is not
conformant with the DTD. I did observe that if I introduce errors into the
DTD file that an exception is thrown, so the DTD is certainly being read.
However, I noticed that there do not appear to be any elements in the
DocTypeImpl object in the Document class - the DocType is correct, but it
appears to be empty. I'm not certain about this latter point, because I
don't understand the workings of the system, but it seems to be the case
that the Document.DocType.elements.nodes is a null Vector, although this
is after the parse operation, so perhaps the DTD data is discarded after
parsing.

I'm sure that there could be a number of reasons that can explain why my
XML file is not being validated. I've tried tinkering with the feature and
properties settings to no avail, and I've spent some time looking at the
documentation, but I can't seem to figure out what the problem might be.

Any ideas?

[I couldn't find a specific Xerces-J users mailing list - I've had a look
at previous postings and this doesn't appear to be off-topic; if it is,
then let me know a more suitable forum.]

Thanks in advance,
Sean.

-----
Sean Murphy,			Email: sean.murphy@teltec.dcu.ie