xml-general mailing list archives

From David_N_Bert...@lotus.com
Subject Re: XSLT Question
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:42:11 GMT

There is no way in standard XSLT that you can evaluate a string as if it
were a mathematical expression.  Some processors have extension functions
which allow the evaluation of XPath expressions, but those extensions are

Something you could do, which is probably not what you want, is to break
the two values into two different variables.  However, you cannot put the
operator into a variable and have XPath dynamically detect the * and do the

Of course, you could do some sort of <xsl:choose> and have embedded XPath's
with the various operators you want to support, but that is not a general
solution like the one I think you're looking for.

                    Tiella               To:     general@xml.apache.org
                    <tiella@sodal        cc:     (bcc: David N Bertoni/CAM/Lotus)
                    ia.it>               Subject:     XSLT Question
                    09:39 AM
                    respond to

Hi  everybody !

I have a question concerning XSLT.

I have a XML like the following:

applying a template, I'm able to assign the string "4*7" to a variable
(say 'n'). Now the question is
how can I evaluate the expression in 'n' ?

the XSLT fragment:

<xsl:value-of select="$n"/>

just returns the '4*7' string.

Is there any other way the expressior or just to get the '28' from the
XML document ?

best regards, roberto.

Roberto Tiella
Process Reuse And Technologies Area
SODALIA s.p.a.
v. Valentina Zambra,1 38100 TRENTO ITALY
phone: +39 0461 316430 fax: +39 0461 316401