xml-general mailing list archives

From David_Mars...@lotus.com
Subject Re: Advice
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:38:12 GMT

Dane Foster asks:
>I would like to know if Xalan J2 is the path I should take or Xalan J1.
>The code I'm writing will be deployed in a production environment so
>stability is an import consideration, but I'm also trying to be as
>forward looking as possible, and I know further Xalan J1 development
>has stopped.

It's very hard to say "development has stopped" for open-source
software, because new contributors could step forward at any time.
However, contributors should find that the Xalan J2 code is easier to
get into.

The criterion about stability for production use would tip the
balance toward Xalan J1 for the next couple months at least. If your
need for stability is really timed for Q1 of 2001 or later, then you
can think about J2, but we all have to wait and see. I gather that
your stylesheets don't encounter any of the (rather few) known bugs
in J1, so they might well be vanilla enough for a pre-Gold edition
of J2. If you're just writing those stylesheets now, use J1 to test
them. If you're writing your own XSLT extensions, use the J2 codebase
as you develop them.
.................David Marston