xml-general mailing list archives

From Mikael Helbo Kjær <...@dia.dk>
Subject Re: Parser
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2000 14:15:39 GMT
Well, a parser is a component or a program used to turn a text file of
somekind (here we would be talking about an XML file) and through the use of
certain standards (DTD, XML Schemas) validates this input file (although
it`s not always done/used) and turns into data to be consumed by your or
somebody elses application usually in the form of event callback (in the
case of the XML SAX (Simple API for XML) standard) or a tree of data as in
the case of DOM (Document Object Model)... This is only a small excerpt of
the functionality of an XML parser, but there are many and rather
interesting other types of text parsers out there. Just keep asking
questions, people will usually find the time to answer you.

Mikael Helbo Kjær

Software Developer @ DIA a/s

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Federica Legger [mailto:federica.legger@cselt.it]
Sendt: 3. november 2000 14:50
Til: general@xml.apache.org
Emne: Parser

Hi everybody,
    I'm afraid I'll bother you with a dummy question but I'm a
fresher...What is a parser and what do you use it for?

Federica Legger
CSELT - Centro Studi e Laboratori Telecomunicazioni
Via G. R. Romoli, 274 - 10148 Torino (ITALY)
E-mail: federica.legger@cselt.it <mailto:federica.legger@cselt.it>
Phone number: +39 011 228 6412