xml-general mailing list archives

From "HERRICK, CHUCK (SBCSI)" <CH6...@momail.sbc.com>
Subject RE: Really new, seeking advice.
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2000 23:01:12 GMT
1. If your config file is pretty large and you want to get only a small part
out of it, use SAX.
2. If your config file is not very large and you want pretty much everything
in it during the application's run (most likely), use DOM.
3. Given my druthers, I'd use Xerces-J and avoid Xerces-C like the plague.
Your application may be in C, however, so you'd be stuck, pretty much.
4. Take a look at the Xerces example programs.
5. If you pretty much exclusively control/create/edit the config files,
don't validate.
6. If you expect users of the application to edit the config file so they
can run the application, and you don't want to be holding their hands while
they edit the config file, by all means validate.

Now you're going to have to figure out where the DTD will live.... that's
always fun.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richardella, Anthony [mailto:Anthony_Richardella@sra.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 3:23 PM
To: 'general@xml.apache.org'
Subject: Really new, seeking advice.

I'm pretty new to xml and I'm looking to convert a config file for an
application into XML. I wondering how I should parse the config. Should I
validate or not? For a mere config file which interface should I use SAX,
SAX2 or DOM? Would DOM be overkill? Also do anyone know of any web pages
with a good tutorial of how to program using Xerces-C?

Thanks,
Anthony