xml-general mailing list archives

From "HERRICK, CHUCK (SBCSI)" <CH6...@momail.sbc.com>
Subject RE: Saving XML to DB
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 16:20:00 GMT
don't forget to look at IBM DB2 and the XML Extenders.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Muench [mailto:Steve.Muench@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 9:39 AM
To: general@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Saving XML to DB

| I heard that Oracle 9i supports XML better than previous
| versions by using a special type.
| But be careful, maybe it's only hype. Try to get a test
| version of Oracle 9i and see how it works.
| I'd be very interested in any results.

Not hype, but of course Oracle8i release 3 (8.1.7) is the
current database release that's in production. Oracle9i
improves on 8i in many areas, including XML support.
Oracle9ik was announced and demoed at the conference
in many venues, and is targeted for delivery in the
first half of 2001.

We were demoing the XML Type features in the technical campgrounds
at our recent Oracle Openworld 2000 conference in San Francisco, so
anyone who came to that conference got to see the XML type's initial
feature set, with even greater XML-Schema based features to come.

I have to check with our marketing folks to know how much
I am allowed to talk about publically, but we were demonstrating
XPath-based searching of stored XML documents as a teaser.

BC4J & XSQL Servlet Development Teams, Oracle Rep to XSL WG
Author "Building Oracle XML Applications", O'Reilly
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp/