xml-general mailing list archives

From "Bhamidipati Prasad" <bkpra...@rediffmail.com>
Subject Parser
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2000 19:17:31 GMT

Parser is the piece of software which acts as a glue between the applicationa and the data
which is in the form of xml.

Depending on the type of glue you want you get there are :

Dom parsers : which form a tree like structure of the XML data.
SAX parser : is event based which generates events on something like the start of the document,
end of the document, when it comes accross en element ...

These parsers can be used in the validating( validates against a schema /DTD) or the non-validating
mode(does not validate).

So essentially its an api from which data(which is originally in the form of XML )can be extracted
to be used in your application.

-Prasad

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Federica Legger=20
  To: general@xml.apache.org=20
  Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 8:50 AM
  Subject: Parser

  Hi everybody,
      I'm afraid I'll bother you with a dummy question but I'm a =
fresher...What is a parser and what do you use it for?

  Federica Legger
  CSELT - Centro Studi e Laboratori Telecomunicazioni
  Via G. R. Romoli, 274 - 10148 Torino (ITALY)
  E-mail: federica.legger@cselt.it
  Phone number: +39 011 228 6412

http://bol.rediff.com

Participate in crazy auctions at http://auctions.rediff.com/auctions/