xml-general mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <Ste...@ignitemedia.com>
Subject Big XSLT Transform using Xalan taking way too long
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2000 19:00:01 GMT
I am trying to process a bunch of data using a stylesheet I've written and
it is taking way too long.
It is taxing my CPU at 100% and is way too expensive.

My dataset is a complete set of scheduled NBA games for the season.  That
would be (29*82/2) or 1189 games.  Another process I wrote pulls the data
out of a relational database and saves it as XML, basically, one element per
each column in the select.  Input Data is sorted chronologically by game
date.  Size of input file is 900K bytes

Processing is fairly simple.  First it reads every game element to find the
unique months contained in the data.  Then for each month, it goes through
the data and emits an element in a new format, which basically involves some
rejiggering of elements into attributes and emitting it.  There are no
lookups or key searches or anything like that.

Results are:
with 2 game elements, processing is almost instantaneous.

With one month's worth of game elements, processing takes 90 seconds.

With one season's worth of game elements, I haven't had the patience yet to
sit through to see how long it takes.
I am going to lunch now.  I will see how long it takes to finish.

Does anyone have any ideas how to speed this up?  Perhaps it is a mistake in
my stylesheet, but so far, I haven't been able to see it.

Steve Cohen
Sr. Software Engineer
Ignite Sports Media, LLC
stevec@ignitemedia.com