xml-general mailing list archives

From "Eric Ye" <eri...@locus.apache.org>
Subject Re: Schema Question
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2000 23:28:46 GMT
Good question to demonstrate powerfulness of schema:

With 04/07 schema spec, here is the syntax:

in your schema :
<schema ....xmlns:NS="your targetNamespace" targetNamespace ="your targetNamesapce">
    <complexType name="type1">
        <element name="type-1-element"/>
    </complexType>

    <complexType name="type2" base="NS:type1" derivedBy="restriction">
        <element name="type-2-element"/>
    </complexType>

    <element name="myelement" type="NS:type1"/>
</schema>

in your instance XML document use xsi:type attribute:

by default myelement will have "type1"'s content model ,  if you do this:
<NS:myelement xmlns:xsi="...." xsi:type="type2"......

then myelement will have "type2"'s content model.

With the CR(10/24) version, the syntax is a little bit different for the schema part, here
it is:

    <complexType name="type1">
        <sequence>
           <element name="type-1-element"/>
        </sequence>
    </complexType>

    <complexType name="type2" >
       <complexContent >
          <restriction base="type1>
            <sequence>
              <element name="type-2-element"/>
            </sequence>
          </restriction>
       </complexContent>
    </complexType>

See, it is much more cumbersome than the 04/07 version, we should let the W3C working Group
know that schema syntax  is getting more and more diverted from simplicity and flexibility.
_____

Eric Ye * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * ericye@locus.apache.org