xml-general mailing list archives

From "Dane Foster" <dfos...@equitytg.com>
Subject Re: Schema Question
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 00:43:24 GMT
I don't see it.  The restriction that I'm trying to apply is based upon the value of the parent
type's attribute, not it's element type.  I sent out another email with additional samples
of what I'm trying to accomplish but I'll do it here again.

The following scenario is an invalid constructs:

<!--Scenario Three -->
<myElement TYPE="type1">
    <type-2-element>This is an incorrect construct because the value of the 'TYPE' attribute
of 'myElement' is "type1", therefore the children of 'myElement' should be 'type-1-element's,
not 'type-2-element's</type-2-element>
</myElement>
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Eric Ye
  To: general@xml.apache.org
  Cc: xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org ; dfoster@equitytg.com
  Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 6:28 PM
  Subject: Re: Schema Question

  Good question to demonstrate powerfulness of schema:

  With 04/07 schema spec, here is the syntax:

  in your schema :
  <schema ....xmlns:NS="your targetNamespace" targetNamespace ="your targetNamesapce">
      <complexType name="type1">
          <element name="type-1-element"/>
      </complexType>

      <complexType name="type2" base="NS:type1" derivedBy="restriction">
          <element name="type-2-element"/>
      </complexType>

      <element name="myelement" type="NS:type1"/>
  </schema>

  in your instance XML document use xsi:type attribute:

  by default myelement will have "type1"'s content model ,  if you do this:
  <NS:myelement xmlns:xsi="...." xsi:type="type2"......

  then myelement will have "type2"'s content model.

  With the CR(10/24) version, the syntax is a little bit different for the schema part, here
it is:

      <complexType name="type1">
          <sequence>
             <element name="type-1-element"/>
          </sequence>
      </complexType>

      <complexType name="type2" >
         <complexContent >
            <restriction base="type1>
              <sequence>
                <element name="type-2-element"/>
              </sequence>
            </restriction>
         </complexContent>
      </complexType>

  See, it is much more cumbersome than the 04/07 version, we should let the W3C working Group
know that schema syntax is getting more and more diverted from simplicity and flexibility.
  _____

  Eric Ye * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * ericye@locus.apache.org