xml-general mailing list archives

From "Dane Foster" <dfos...@equitytg.com>
Subject Revison to Schema Question
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2000 19:55:13 GMT
For the purpose of clarity I have added some additional conditions below
----- Original Message -----
From: Dane Foster
To: general@xml.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 1:11 PM
Subject: Schema Question

I know that most of the post to this list deal with Xerces and Xalan so this may not be the
place to ask this question.  If it's not please let me know.  Anyway, my question is this,
in the current Schema specification (..2000/10/XMLSchema), how do I specify that if an element
contains a particular attribute it's children must be a specific element?

Example:

Notes*: The myElement node's 'type' attribute can be one of two values "type1" or "type2".
 If the value is type1 then the root node(s) of the myElement sub-tree must be 'type-1-element'.
 If the value is type2 then the root node(s) of the myElement sub-tree must be 'type-2-element'.

<!--Scenario one-->
<myElement type="type1">
  <type-1-element>Element data goes here</type-1-element>
</myElement>

<!--Scenario two-->
<myElement type="type2">
  <type-2-element>Element data goes here</type-2-element>
</myElement>

Scenario Three and Four are not considered a valid construct for what I'm trying to do

<!--Scenario Three.   -->
<myElement type="type1">
    <type-2-element>Element data goes here</type-2-element>
</myElement>

<!--Scenario Four -->
<myElement type="type2">
  <type-1-element>Element data goes here</type-1-element>
</myElement>

Dane Foster