xml-general mailing list archives

From "Keith Kyzivat" <kkyzi...@iconverse.com>
Subject RE: xml path problem
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:30:15 GMT
I have had troubles with file URIs (specifically with respect to win32
systems) with xerces-j (among other progs & libraries).  What exactly is the
standard format for a file URI?
Netscape does it one way, M$ does it another way, and I guess base java uses
pretty much the M$ format for File URIs.

file URI examples that I have known to work on some (any)
application/library:
	file://c:/foo/bar/baz.joe
	file://c:\foo\bar\baz.joe
	file:///c|/foo/bar/baz.joe
	file:///c:/foo/bar/baz.joe

What is the acceptable file URI format for xerces-j (and presumably
xerces-c)?

If anyone can clear up the confusion would be good for everyone.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Rodriguez [mailto:jeffreyr_97@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2000 6:21 PM
To: general@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: xml path problem

Hi Venkat,
from the FAQ:

"I used to be able to use DOS filenames with the parser and now they don't
work. Why not?

  DOS filenames are not legal URIs as required by the XML 1.0 specification.
Therefore, it was an error for the parser to accept DOS filenames. This bug
is now fixed.

DOS filenames can be converted to legal URIs, however. For example, the DOS
filename "c:\xerces\data\personal.xml" would become
"file:///c:/xerces/data/personal.xml", which is a legal URI."

Hope this information helps,

                  Jeffrey Rodriguez
                  XML Development
                  IBM Cupertino