xml-general mailing list archives

From Don Brutzman <brutz...@nps.navy.mil>
Subject Re: Question about document type nodes and JAXP
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:18:41 GMT
Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> [...]
> > I'd try to
> > convince them to stop using IDL to specify DOM and use
> > UML instead.
>
> You're welcome to try on www-dom. I don't remember anybody ever trying
> (and I've been on the DOM WG from its beginning).

good ideas to consider, thanks

> > (The lack of a standard mapping from UML
> > to various implementation languages would then be the
> > next problem, though.  Hmm.)
>
> Not sure. We don't actually use any IDL converter. Or rather we have our
> own. That's because IDL converters are designed to produce code suitable
> for CORBA. The DOM only uses IDL as a formalism to define an API in a
> language independent way.

we ran into that exact same IDL->Java wall working on the API for X3D.
the corba-isms are so extreme that they obfuscate the basic API.
Sun's idlj tool works well for CORBA mappings but can't selectively
turn them off, unfortunately.  Results of X3D IDL API -> Java at
http://www.web3d.org/TaskGroups/x3d/sai/SceneAuthoringInterface.html

our new strategy:
develop a schema to replace DTD, then use XSLT to autogenerate
- IDL for spec
- corresponding Java interfaces & methods for all elements & attributes
- stub Java classes implementing those interfaces, suitable for a sample
  implementation
- door is then open for autogenerating other language mappings, as desired

all the best, Don
--
Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code UW/Br Root 200  work 831.656.2149
              Monterey California 93943-5000 USA              fax  831.656.3679