xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Question about document type nodes and JAXP
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 19:25:05 GMT
Eric Hodges wrote:

> I'm not convinced that a language neutral spec is that important.  What does
> it give us?  I'd rather use an API tailored to the language I'm in, I think.

But that was one of the requirements the DOM WG had to work with. People
want to implement and use the DOM in many different languages. And they
do. There exist EcmaScript, Java and C++ implementations, but also C,
Delphi, Python, Perl ones, etc...
Also companies typically don't want their employees to have to learn a
different API everytime they switch from one language to another.