xml-general mailing list archives

From Edwin Goei <Edwin.G...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Question about document type nodes and JAXP
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:36:48 GMT
Sean Kelly wrote:

> > Really?  That's what I'm doing, but I thought it would just be a temporary
> > hack.  :-(
>
> I wish ... but as Arnaud said, there's no factory method in the DOM spec to
> get useful objects like this.
>
> In my own code, I've wrapped all non-DOM, non-SAX methods into a class with
> a bunch of static methods wrapping the underlying XML implementation (plus
> some API sugaring here and there) in order to minimize the impact of changes
> to versions of Xerces, or changes to other XML implementations.

The two classes in the javax.xml.parsers package of JAXP attempt to
bridge the gap between what the DOM API currently provides and what apps
need to use the DOM API.  For example, DOM (as of Level 2) does not
provide a way to load in an XML file to create a DOM tree, the
javax.xml.parsers package provides this.

-Edwin