xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Question about document type nodes and JAXP
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:14:46 GMT
Eric Hodges wrote:

> > In DOM Level 2, you first need to create the doctype node with
> > DOMImplementation.createDocumentType() and then create the document node
> > with DOMImplementation.createDocument() to which you pass the doctype.
> > You can't change the doctype afterwards.
>
> Wow, that's a serious limitation.  I'm trying rebuild an XML document from a
> database (and also rebuild them from serialized objects).  I usually don't
> know the document type until sometime after I've created the document.
>
> I guess I'll have to use some sort of lazy construction.  Why is DOM so
> screwy?

The problem is that depending on the type of document the application
deals with the implementation may use very different types of classes.
For instance, an SVG or MathML DOM implementation typically uses very
different classes of objects for SVG and MathML nodes than a vanilla DOM
such as Xerces DOM. In a case where an implementation supports several
DOMs at the same time, the switch on which set of classes it uses is
triggered at the document creation time, depending on what type of
document the application wants to use. DOM Level 2 is designed so that
the doctype node is the trigger. However, it is understood that this has
serious limitations. In a parser environment such as Xerces for
instance, you really want to create the document first and then populate
with a vanilla doctype node whenever, and if, you encounter one. I
haven't found any way to reconcile the two problems though. Any idea
there is very welcome!!