xml-general mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Validation and RevalidatingDOMParser questions
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2000 21:27:52 GMT
Edwin Goei wrote:
> Implementing this for DOMParser should be OK, however for SAX,
> it might make the parser non SAX conformant.  See [SAX link]

Thanks for the link. I re-read the comment for setErrorHandler
and would tend to agree with you that we're doing "the right
thing" by not having a default error handler registered.

This problem comes up so often that I'm inclined to always
have a default error handler registered on the all parsers
built on the Xerces framework. The javadoc uses the word
"application" specifically, but if I read the spirit of the
law instead of the letter of the law, then it just states
that you shouldn't be surprised that errors are silently
swallowed when there is no error handler registered.

Perhaps we should get a ruling from David Megginson and also
ask the users what they would prefer. (Although, from the
amount of "bug" reports we get because of this, I think I
know what the users would say.)

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org