xml-general mailing list archives

From GOMEZ Henri <hgo...@slib.fr>
Subject Apache's RPM packaging layout poll
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:16:22 GMT
Hi,

I'm packaging for some time now RPMs (Linux Redhat) for some of
the new Apache Group projects :

- ant, regexp, tomcat 3.x, tomcat 4.0

- xalan-c, xalan-j, xerces-c, xerces-j, cocoon

Till recently all the packages were installed under /opt ie:

/opt/ant
/opt/tomcat

/opt/xalan-j
/opt/xerces-j

But some users reported me that /opt is mounted read-only on their
systems and I've started to move all the stuff like this :

General Java library (xalan, xerces) goes in /usr/lib/java :

	/usr/lib/java/xalan.jar
	/usr/lib/java/xerces.jar

Application (cocoon, tomcat) goes in /home :

	/home/tomcat/bin/... /home/tomcat/webapps/...
	/home/cocoon/bin/... /home/cocoon/conf/...

Since there is no rules like FHS (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/)
I'd like to have your opinion about what I should use.

Using the /opt approach allow you to have split the products
(xalan/xerces...)
Using the split method will make you think you're using java libs and apps
much like any others native apps/libs.

Thanks to reply to my adress. I'll put the thread on http://rpmized.free.fr