xml-general mailing list archives

From Eric Hodges <harmo...@swbell.net>
Subject Re: Question about document type nodes and JAXP
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:09:38 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arnaud Le Hors" <lehors@us.ibm.com>
To: <general@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: Question about document type nodes and JAXP

> Eric Hodges wrote:
> >
> > I'll probably change our design so that DocumentType isn't a node at
all,
> > but an attribute of Document.  I guess I was misled by the fact that in
DOM,
> > DocumentType extends Node.
>
> DocumentType IS a Node. And it should be found as a child node of the
> Document. The read only attribute documentType on Document is simply a
> shortcut to access it.

I know DocumentType is a Node, but it can't be treated like other Nodes.
You can't add one to the tree.  This violates the tree pattern and makes it
confusing.

In my thin implementation, everything is a node.  Each node just has other
nodes.  Specific types of nodes can limit which children they accept, but
its just a big tree.  I don't keep attributes in a separate collection, for
instance.