xml-general mailing list archives

From Eric Hodges <harmo...@swbell.net>
Subject Re: Question about document type nodes and JAXP
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 03:22:04 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arnaud Le Hors" <lehors@us.ibm.com>
To: <xerces-dev@xml.apache.org>
Cc: <general@xml.apache.org>; <xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 8:51 PM
Subject: Re: Question about document type nodes and JAXP

> In DOM Level 2, you first need to create the doctype node with
> DOMImplementation.createDocumentType() and then create the document node
> with DOMImplementation.createDocument() to which you pass the doctype.
> You can't change the doctype afterwards.

Wow, that's a serious limitation.  I'm trying rebuild an XML document from a
database (and also rebuild them from serialized objects).  I usually don't
know the document type until sometime after I've created the document.

I guess I'll have to use some sort of lazy construction.  Why is DOM so
screwy?