xml-general mailing list archives

From "Keith Kyzivat" <kkyzi...@iconverse.com>
Subject RE: Problems finding schema definition
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2000 17:16:26 GMT
I encountered this as well when I started...
File URLs seem to be a problem...  Java seems to like them one way, while
wininet (and then also internet explorer) like a different style of file
url...  It seems as if there is no standard for the format of a file url...

I cured my problem with it by just installing a web server on my machine
(apache does the trick), and then referencing the dtd (or xsd in this case)
by putting it in the web docs path, and replacing the file url with a full
http url.

Can anyone say something about file URLs, and how to make them

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy_Carr@tertio.com [mailto:Andy_Carr@tertio.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 10:51 AM
To: general@xml.apache.org
Subject: Problems finding schema definition

I have written an XML schema (that makes use of the standard XML Schema
definitions) but am having zero success in getting the parser to find my
schema definition file.

The top of my XML file looks like:

    <?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <GMI xmlns="file:///H:/Andy/Programs/Web/XML/GMI.xsd">

The top of my XSD file (H:/Andy/Programs/Web/XML/GMI.xsd) looks like:

    <?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema">
    <element name="GMI">

I'm using the DOMcount Java sample program that I believe has a built-in
parser and XML Schema definitions.

When I run:

    java -cp
dom.DOMCount -v file:///H:/Andy/Programs/Web/XML/GMI.xml

I get a bunch of errors, starting with:

    java -cp
dom.DOMCount -v file:///H:/Andy/Programs/Web/XML/GMI.xml
    file:///H:/Andy/Programs/Web/XML/GMI.xsd grammar not found
    [ERROR] GMI.xml:3:55: Element type "GMI" must be declared.

I am new to XML.  Am I doing something stupid?

PS. I would have scanned the mailing list archive first but it is currently

Tertio Limited  -  One Angel Square,   Torrens Street,   London  EC1V 1PL
Tel: +44 (0)20 7843 4000 Fax: +44 (0)20 7843 4001 Web http://www.tertio.com
except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Tertio