xml-general mailing list archives

From "Thomas B. Passin" <tpas...@mitretek.org>
Subject Re: Problems finding schema definition
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2000 20:13:24 GMT
Keith Kyzivat wrote -

> I encountered this as well when I started...
> File URLs seem to be a problem...  Java seems to like them one way,
while
> wininet (and then also internet explorer) like a different style of
file
> url...  It seems as if there is no standard for the format of a file
url...

It's often because the RFC for url format isn't quite clear enough for a
file url on a windows machine.  You could try the old browser style:

 file:///c|/dir1/dir2

I've never been able to find documentation about using "|" instead of
":", and the colon is supposed to be legal, but a lot of code wants to
see it anyway.  Also, path separators are supposed to be forward slashes
(even for Windows paths) - although both IE and Netscape browsers are
very tolerant about the file:// url format.

Another thing that's supposed to work for a local file is

file://localhost/path/to/the/file

But what actually works with any piece of code is anyone's guess.  Just
keep trying the possibilities.

So you could try the above formats and see if they work. But it's still
not desirable for use as a namspace urn.

Tom Passin