xml-general mailing list archives

From "Ed Staub" <est...@mediaone.net>
Subject RE: Should we outsource the xml.apache.org site?
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:13:37 GMT
Jeffrey Rodriguez asked:
> What could sourceforge.net provide for us?

See http://sourceforge.net/, http://sourceforge.net/docs/site/services.php,
and http://sourceforge.net/docs/site/faq.php.

To quote: "SourceForge is a free service to Open Source developers offering
easy access to the best in CVS, mailing lists, bug tracking, message
boards/forums, task management, site hosting, permanent file archival, full
backups, and total web-based administration."

They are supported by VA Linux.
They already host 7800 projects, including at least parts of Python, jEdit,
FreeNet, and NeoMail.
On a less positive note (IMO) their most downloaded project is Back Orifice.

I am not affiliated in any way; in fact, I don't have any direct experience
with SourceForge beyond downloading from their site and snooping around a
little!

If bug tracking is our most significant pain point right now, perhaps we
should think about using SourceForge just to host just the bug tracker.

I'm trying to get more information.
If anyone has first-hand experience with hosting projects there, please
speak up!

Thanks,
-Ed Staub