xml-general mailing list archives

From Edwin Goei <Edwin.G...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: versions of org.w3c.dom
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:38:58 GMT
R.Piterman@wcenter.de wrote:

> ----- Forwarded by Ron Piterman/WCENTER on 24.08.00 15:21 -----
>   Ron Piterman
>                           To:        cocoon-users@xml.apache.org,
>   24.08.00 14:08  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org
>                           cc:
>                           Subject:        versions of org.w3c.dom
>
> I noticed the org.w3c.dom classes in xerces are different than the
> ones I downloaded from sun : an example is the
> Element.getAttributeNS(...) method which does not exist in my api.
> How come, and where do I get the most up to date api ?
> Ron

DOM is an evolving API that is backward compatible so you should be able
to use newer DOM interfaces with code that uses older ones.  Xerces has
the current version of the DOM2 CR classes.  The Sun download is at DOM
level 1.  So putting xerces.jar before any other DOM classes should fix
your problem.

Note: as a side note, when DOM interfaces become a core part of a future
version of the JDK, this will not be possible because it will not be
(generally) possible to override the core classes in the JDK with
classes in the classpath.  This means that newer DOM methods will not be
available until the JDK itself is rev-ed.  That is, unless something
else happens to fix this, of course.

-Edwin