xml-general mailing list archives

From Kevin Regan <kev...@valicert.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2000 22:41:41 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, James Duncan Davidson wrote:

> on 7/8/00 10:56 AM, Arnaud Le Hors at lehors@us.ibm.com wrote:
>
> > So far the only proof I've got is that Hotspot miserably fails on
> > Xerces. This means to me that Hotspot has a problem, not xerces.
>
> Many many many programs work better on Hotspot than not. And the Hotspot
> team has been saying for *years* now (at least 3, more than half the
> lifetime of Java) what kind of optimizations would crap on them. When I
> was
> on the Java Web Server team, we hit almost every one. Cleaning up the
> code
> reversed this treand and performance picked up. Sure, people are going
> get bit by this... Xerces wasn't the first, nor will it be the last.

I agree with this whole-heartedly.  The HotSpot folks have been
keeping us well informed about which optimizations we should not
include in our code because they would be taking care of it
for us (and, indeed, it would actually hurt more than help).
I, for one, am very pleased with what HotSpot has matured into...

Sincerely,
Kevin Regan