xml-general mailing list archives

From Octav Chipara <ochip...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:20:41 GMT

> Octav Chipara wrote:
> >
> > OK ... It is true that some of use want JDOM, but I would propose to try
> > to built a new tree structure. IMHO, neither JDOM nor DOM would are the
> > best possible solutions. I would like something that would have small
> > footprint and that would be easily mapped on structures that could be
> > defined in some programming language!
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I don't understand the second part of your last sentence, after "and".
> But the DOM only defines interfaces. Nothing prevents anyone from
> designing a minimal DOM implementation that has a small footprint. I'm
> actually already experimenting with something like that. In the long run
> I see us having several DOM implementations that fulfill different
> requirements and live together. DOM being a standard API, one will be
> able to choose the implementation that best fits his/her needs and be
> able to change at any time if need be.
> --

1) True! ... But my only problem is that when you are using various
subsets of DOM, are you still having a compliant W3C recomandation? I
believe that we should actually develop a new set of interfaces rather
then using a subset of DOM! If we are starting from scratch we might get
better results than trying to subset DOM! Many of us try to build
applications which understand XML for embedded systems and I see great
value in having a DOM-like implementation for such systems. Do you believe
using a subset is good enough?

2) The second part regards a higher level tool which I would love to have.
Something to map the structure of a XML document directly on a structure
defined in a programming language ... For instance,

struct book{
char *Title;
char *ISBN;
}

should be easily mapped on the XML Document like ...

<book>
	<Title> Stuff </Title>
	<ISBN> other stuff </ISBN>
</book>

This should happen both when you are creating XML documents and when you
are writing XML documents. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?