xml-general mailing list archives

From <cos...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:48:38 GMT
> So, let me start off another option:
> 1) we forget about spinnaker
> 2) we create a new CVS branch under xml-xerces where Xerces2 should
> reside
> 3) in case, we create a xerces2-dev mail list
> What do you think?

I think we should spend some time to understand what are the problems.

IMHO one of the biggest problems of xerces is lack of
(good) modularity. Same thing happened in tomcat - the code was too messy,
even if the design was very good. The only thing we did in tomcat is to
separate the "core" and modules. Tomcat 3.1 had exactly the same code as
3.0, just in a different form. In 3.2 we rewrote most of the modules. You
can't do it in other order. The internal interfaces are still not perfect,
and probably 3.3 will do that, but are good enough to keep complexity
outside of core, and to allow incremental evolution, where you rewrite
what's badly broken but keep everything else stable.

Having independent and manageable components allow people to contribute.

We need to resolve this problem and make sure we can keep JDK1.1
optimization in modules and  we are able to configure xerces for our

If we call this modularization effort Spinnaker or something else is not
important. If we do that in a workspace or another is not important. But
it has to be done, and it has to be done in an open way, with people
knowing what happens and with a clear understanding of goals, patterns,

View raw message