xml-general mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:07:25 GMT

I think the point is to build/refactor a next generation, commercially
viable, parser based on the current state of the art (including and
especially Schema support), and the collected requirements.  It is indeed
pointless, in my opinion, to talk about "adapting" other code bases -- what
is going to occur is a mining operation from Xerces and Crimson.  Anything
that's open source with the right license is open to be mined for ideas (I
think).

In any case, yes, we should stick to requirements and design right now.

-scott

                    "Edwin Goei"

                    <Edwin.Goei@en        To:     <general@xml.apache.org>

                    g.sun.com>            cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                                          Subject:     Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and
requirements
                    07/12/2000

                    10:27 PM

                    Please respond

                    to general

"Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com> writes:

> Wild-eyed suggestion: why not look into adopting James Clark's XT?  It's
> a pretty #!%@^#@ good parser IMHO.  Also it's from neither IBM or Sun :)

Yup, I think it's worth looking at the internals of XP also (you probably
meant XP), I just haven't done it yet.  Maybe other people who have can
comment.  It looks like an older parser which hasn't been updated.  There's
also the parser that you wrote, Lark, which you might want to comment on.

The other parser I have looked at is Aelfred2 which is a current SAX2 based
parser.  I think its easier to understand than the current Xerces code, but
it also does less.  But maybe we're still in the requirements stage right
now and these are more implementation details.

-Edwin