xml-general mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 03:25:51 GMT

> I disagree. I don't think that keeping sync across C++ and Java is
> reasonable given that two very different coding strategies really should
be
> used to make each appropriate for it's environment.

A big +1 on this.  Java is a very different language from C++, and you need
different strategies.

-scott

                    James Duncan

                    Davidson                  To:     <general@xml.apache.org>

                    <james.davidson@en        cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                    g.sun.com>                Subject:     Re: [spinnaker] Announce

                    07/10/2000 05:34

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    general

on 7/10/00 2:05 PM, Joe Polastre at polastre@jtcsv.com wrote:

> I'd also like to see this be coordinated with the xerces-c developers
since
> the source base for xerces-c is based on the original xerces-j.  it would
be
> nice to keep the two parsers in sync so that changes to one parser and
> relatively easy to implement in the other.  plus, i haven't seen anyone
> comment on the implications towards the c++ parser by starting a new
branch
> that could possibly become the new xerces-j.  [us C++ developers are real
> people too!]

I disagree. I don't think that keeping sync across C++ and Java is
reasonable given that two very different coding strategies really should be
used to make each appropriate for it's environment.

I think that the feature sets and goals should be similar -- SAX, DOM...
But
the implementation should be different.

.duncan