xml-general mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:13:50 GMT

> Additionally, based on Scott's reaction ;-), he wouldn't add in support
> for XPath on JDOM.

Please don't misinterpret my inappropriate remarks.  The issue is, XPath
needs to walk a tree model, or else all the code would have to feel through
an adapter, which would be a problem, I think.  As far as I can tell, DOM
is the appopriate tree model for XPath to work with.  (I did discuss this
with you early in the JDOM incarnation).

Please read my other email.  I would love to have Xalan's XPath
implementation work with JDOM.  I just don't see how to do it right now,
unless you implement a DOM subset, which wouldn't be hard, in my opinion,
or unless I made a total forked version of XPath.  If you have other ideas,
I would be glad to brainstorm with you to come up with a solution.

Again, sorry for my original remark -- I shot off my mouth without enough
care or respect.  Hopefully you'll get over your anger with me...

-scott

                    Brett McLaughlin

                    <brett.mclaughlin@l        To:     general@xml.apache.org

                    utris.com>                 cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                                               Subject:     Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan,
and requirements
                    07/12/2000 10:07 AM

                    Please respond to

                    general

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Donald Ball wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to see XPath and XInclude support built in to Xerces as
> > modules.
>
> +1 for XInclude and XBase (they do together), as well as a way to
> extract XLink information from the file, if found.
>
> -1 for XPath, it should belong to Xalan2

I'm actually in disagreement here - I know in JDOM, people want to be
able to look up nodes/elements/attributes using XPath. Additionally,
more and more APIs are using XPath outside of XSL/T. To include it as
part of Xalan forces users to get an entire jar to do that.
Additionally, based on Scott's reaction ;-), he wouldn't add in support
for XPath on JDOM. That's another reason. Still, I think users that know
XPath would love to do:

Element specific = root.getChild("foo/@bar='1'");

Not having to carry around XSL/T weight to do this is a major advantage,
and prepares us for the APIs that use XPath outside of just
transformations.

-Brett

> --

Brett McLaughlin, Enhydra Strategist