xml-general mailing list archives

From Eric Hodges <harmo...@swbell.net>
Subject RE: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 20:37:59 GMT

So why is the DOM API so bloated and ugly?  Why doesn't it use Java
collections?  Why are there so many non-obvious steps required just to parse
a document?

I already know why because you told me.  W3C's job was to make several
different implementations happy with one API.  The result is an API that
doesn't make anyone happy.

> > My worries
> > are that even the core implementation is too big, that's why I would
> > propose if someone wants to take a look into other possible solutions
> > except DOM and JDOM. When W3C made the recomandation for DOM I do not
> > belive that they had in mind that DOM would be used for
> embedded systems.
>
> This is true. Having been involved in the DOM Activity since its
> beginning I can tell you that the persons involved in it at first (this
> is several years ago!) only represented browser vendors, authoring tool
> vendors, server vendors, and users. But W3C now counts as members many
> handheld device vendors and their requirements are taken into account
> just like any other.

Isn't it too late?  Are they going to throw away the current API?