xml-general mailing list archives

From "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gas...@krankikom.de>
Subject RE: XML Database
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:15:23 GMT
Oracle is starting to do work on that area around Intermedia Text. It
already allows searching XML as structured text but no XPath. However
they are doing something with XPath and they have some support to
handle stored XML for Web use with their XSQL Servlet.

Microsoft is announcing they will include a lot of XML technologies in
SQL Server 2000. However, the most radical - as the use of XPath like
syntax data selection - will be delivered after the product release in
some kind of service pack.

Object Store and other object database manufacters, found out that the
Object Database market was a flop but that XML will be a hit. Since both
kinds of storage have a lot of common problems, they are a step ahead of
the tradicional relational database manufacters on many aspects.

This way, many of these object database manufacters are becoming XML
database manufacters.

Of course you will also find a lot of more ror less academic efforts.
However, I believe that the above corporation types have some advantages
for this kind of product and are bound to have some success earlier.

(Corporations, however, obviously have problems with web servers, XSLT
engines and so on! hehehe)

I hope this gives you a clue about where to search.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar